- Maintain a healthy weight and engage in light stretching and exercises daily.
- Adjust your sitting, standing, and sleeping positions frequently so as not to lock your joints.
- Eat fresh & hot meals. Consume food rich in Omega-3 rich like fish, dry nuts, spinach, broccoli, and citrusy berries.
- Instead of simple carbohydrates (rice, white bread, pasta, maida), consume compound carbohydrates like oats, whole grains, or millets like bajra, ragi, jowar.
- Consume specific spices like ginger, turmeric, garlic and black pepper to eliminate the Ama.
- Add plenty of fibre to your diet. Keep your digestive tract clean and consume gut-friendly herbs like Giloy / Guduchi and Triphala.
- Choose good walking shoes with padded soles and good arch support.
- Moderate exercises and Yoga should be practiced as per a person's capacity to preserve muscle and normal joint motion, minimize bone loss, and improve pain control.
- Talk to your doctor regularly and keep him updated of any discomforts.
- Don’t indulge in high impact and repetitive motion and strenuous activities.
- Avoid activities like running, jumping and lifting heavy weights as it may worsen the cartilage erosion.
- Food that should be avoided: Fermented foods, curd, foods high in protein, sweets, oily foods, junk and fast foods, salty and sour foods, cold drinks and Ice creams should be avoided as they are heavy to digest.
- Avoid Cold environment, cold water and cold food.
- Sleeping immediately after meals should be avoided.
- Weight should be watched as obesity can aggravate the pain.
- Anything that aggravates pain should be avoided.
- Avoid smoking or drinking. Cigarette smoke contains harmful substances that can irritate the connective tissues around your joints. It also releases toxins, which may lead to other joint problems.
- Avoid self-medication. Always consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and correct treatment.